Drug Testing Services

Drug Testing Services:

What DOT Compliance Service, Inc Can Do For You!

We at DOT Compliance Service are set up and ready to assist employers who have CDL drivers or owner operators to be in full compliance with DOT drug and alcohol testing requirements as they begin their business.

To ensure that our clients will pass a safety audit that relates to their compliance with drug testing requirements, DOT Compliance Service will provide the following services to each of their clients:

  • Enrollment of the CDL driver in our random selection consortium. (A consortium is a large group of CDL drivers who are subject to random selection. This process will ensure that all group members are selected for random drug testing at the rate of 50% annually, as well as random alcohol testing at the rate of 10% annually);
  • A Certificate of Compliance with all DOT substance abuse testing requirements as certified by us at DOT Compliance Testing;
  • A signed Drug Testing Servicing Agreement stating in detail those testing services we are obligated to provide as well as the cost of those services and client payment terms;
  • Complete assistance in helping clients get all CDL drivers their initial drug test;
  • A company Substance Abuse Policy for clients that have more than one employee (owner operators are exempt from this requirement);
  • Assistance with setting up clients to be drug and alcohol tested at clinics located nationwide;
  • Computer generated random selection process; and
  • Web based client reporting of all drug or alcohol test results.


Driver Qualification Files

Driver Qualification Files:

What DOT Compliance Service, Inc Can Do For You!

Any person who operates a commercial vehicle is expected to demonstrate that they are qualified to operate that vehicle. This applies to all commercial drivers who must secure a USDOT number to operate their vehicle. 49 CFR 390.19

This requirement specifically applies to operators of commercial vehicles where the vehicles:

  • Gross vehicle weight (GVW) is rated in excess of 10,000 pounds; or
  • is designed to transport more than eight (8) passengers for hire or more than fifteen (15) passengers not for hire; or
  • transports hazardous materials requiring the vehicle to be placarded.

Any commercial driver who operates a commercial vehicle whose GVW exceeds 26,000 pounds, transports fifteen (15) or more passengers, or who transports hazardous materials must obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and be subject to drug and alcohol testing.

Any driver who operates a commercial vehicle under the authority of a USDOT number must:

  • Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
  • Read and speak English;
  • Have the experience and training to operate the commercial vehicle he/she will be driving; and
  • Have a valid commercial driver’s license.

A driver qualification file will demonstrate the driver’s compliance with these requirements. The following drivers are exempt from the requirement that he/she establish a driver qualification file:

  • Operators of a covered farm vehicle who are transporting agricultural products and where the vehicle is operated solely within the state or within a 150 mile radius from its point of origin;
  • Drivers who primarily drive for another employer who has established a driver qualification file for that driver.

A completed driver qualification file will include the following documents:

  1. A driver’s application for employment completed consistent with 49 CFR 391.21.
  2. A letter from each previous employer of the driver over the last 3-10 years including information as required by 49 CFR 391.21.


Unified Carrier Registration

Unified Carrier Registration

All commercial vehicles that are operated interstate or across state or international lines, must pay a road tax. Commercial vehicles are defined as those vehicles whose GVW exceeds 10,000 lbs, hauls hazmat or transports 11 or more passengers.  This tax is collected by the means of the Unified Carrier Registration. That process allows covered vehicle operators to go to a web site (instead of finding the appropriate agency in each state) to pay the applicable road tax. The tax depends on the number of commercial vehicles operated by the company.

The following states do not participate in the UCR: Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont and Wyoming. Any company that does the majority of its business in these states must pay the tax in the state where they do the second most business. The state of Georgia has a special law that requires intrastate commercial operators pay state road tax. These rates are: $5.00 per truck.


Motor Carrier Number / Interstate Operating Authority

Motor Carrier Number / Interstate Operating Authority

To transport freight across state lines you will need to obtain your Motor Carrier Interstate operating authority (MC #).  The requirements are dependent upon the GVWR of the vehicles that you use to transport this freight. The following list details the requirements by GVWR .

Vehicles 10,000 lbs GVWR and Less:

  • MC number
  • $300,000 Liability insurance

Vehicles 10,001 – 26,000 lbs GVWR:

  • US DOT number
  • MC number
  • UCR registration
  • $750,000 Liability insurance

Vehicles 26,001 lbs and greater:

  • US DOT number
  • MC number
  • UCR Registration
  • $ 750,000 Liability insurance
  • Apportioned License Plates (IRP)
  • IFTA License
  • State Permits – NY HUT, KYU, New Mexico, Oregon ( NY HUT for 18,000 lbs gvwr and up)

The FMCSA no longer requires cargo insurance filings. Most companies you work for will require some amount of cargo insurance coverage, but it no longer needs to be filed with the FMCSA.

BOC-3 Agents

BOC-3 Agents are also referred to as Process Agents. You are required to file a form BOC-3 with the FMCSA to activate your MC number. The BOC-3 form is a list of agents who will receive any legal or official papers on your behalf and will then forward them to you. If you are an Interstate Motor Carrier, you must have a designated agent in each state.

We can secure your permanent Process Agents for every state and file your form BOC-3 with the FMCSA for you. We will then send you the form BOC-3 for your records.